Monday, December 5, 2016

Author Interview with Christa Yelich-Koth Science Fiction Author


Today Christa Yelich-Koth author of Eomix Galaxy Books and Hollow has been gracious enough to do an author interview.

Hi Christa, first of all, thank you.

Thank you for having me here!

If you could, would you tell us a little about yourself and your background?
I grew up in the Midwest of the U.S. where I attended a Spanish Immersion school until high school. In high school I majored in vocal music (classical and opera) and continue on to college, where I earned my B.S. in Biology.

I started writing in high school, but didn’t think of it as a possible career until 2001. From there, I attended workshops, conferences, and writing groups to hone my skills. I co-founded Green Eyed-Unicorn Comics in 2012, but left because I wanted to help publish novels as well as comics.

In 2015 I co-founded Buzz & Roar Publishing where I am head of submissions and a free-lance editor. We focus on science fiction, fantasy, and mystery.

So, what have you written?
My published works include graphic novel, HOLLOW (2012), comic book series HOLLOW’S PRISM (2013-2016), and Amazon bestselling novels ILLUSION and IDENTITY, part of the Eomix Galaxy Books collection. (2015-2016). My next novel, COILED VENGEANCE, will be released in 2017. I am currently finishing up a YA fantasy novel, THE JADE CASTLE, the first in the Land of Iyah series.

Do you have a trailer or do you intend to create one for your own book/s?
I have trailers for HOLLOW, HOLLOW’S PRISM issue #1, and ILLUSION/IDENTITY (since they are a complete 2-book set.)

Hollow


HOLLOW’S PRISM #1 Aftermath:


ILLUSION/IDENTITY:


Where can we find your books?
All book links can be found through my website: www.ChristaYelichKoth.com

My novels are available worldwide on Amazon (keyword EOMIX) or from Buzz & Roar Publishing. Click:here.

My comics are available through Green Eyed-Unicorn comics. Click:here.

What genre are your books?
My novels/comics are science fantasy, which means they take place in a non-Earth galaxy, but are centered more on plot and characters instead of focused on technology.

Is there something about this genre that draws you to it?
I love that there are no limits, no boundaries. Anything can be created as long as it’s established in the story’s universe.

Do you have a favorite book that you've written?
Oooh, that’s a tough one. I absolutely love the ILLUSION/IDENTITY story for its depth and psychological complexity. Weaving the story lines together was really fun. So to read, that would be my favorite. But for my favorite book to write? I’d choose my Detective novel, SPIDER’S TRUTH (not yet slated for release). That book, though intricate as well, flowed very quickly and I really enjoyed writing the characters.

If you could cast anyone to play the characters in your most recent book, who would they be?
I’ve actually just started thinking about this lately, after my books became bestsellers. I don’t know who the entire cast would be, but I know I’d love for the main character, Daith Tocc, to be played by Kristen Kreuk. And I’d love for the antagonist, Commander Trey Xiven, to be played by David Tennant.

Why do you write?
I write because I absolutely love telling stories. And I love reading them. So if I can bring as much joy to someone with my words as I get from reading other author’s works, then that’s the best feeling in the world. And I write because I have to know the ending. :)

Where do you see your writing taking you in the future?
I plan for it to be my career, split between being an author and running Buzz & Roar Publishing.

Where do your ideas come from?
Usually I get a glimpse of a scene, like a woman who wakes up in a windowless room with no memories (scene that prompted me to write ILLUSION) or a terrified teenager who DOESN’T want to be an assassin (this one prompted me to write my YA scifi novel, title pending.)

Some authors use outlines, some just fly by the seat of their pants. How do you write?
I am DEFINITELY a fly by the seat of my pants writer. When I don’t know what’s going to happen next, it motivates me to write more, so I’m pulled in by the story along the way, just as if I was reading it.

I’ve tried to outline, but for me, it becomes boring because it feels like I’m just filling in the blanks between one moment and another instead of relishing the journey and discovering what that next moment will be.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Depends on the book, but I can safely say the actual writing wouldn’t take me more than 6 months.

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
I don’t’. Usually I write in the morning, but it’s not a set schedule. And I don’t make myself write every day. If I do, it ends up feeling like a chore instead of something I love.

Do you design your own book covers?
I do have input on the designs, but I have graphic artists do the actual illustration.

Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?
Definitely. Cheap, awkward, unreadable, and confusing covers can deter someone. There are SO many books available. The cover is a writer’s first chance to lure in a reader. In a quick flash, the reader has already made a decision.

How do you market your books?
I use several different venues from social media to reviews to word of mouth.
Do you have any advice for other authors on how to market their books?
Connect with other authors, find bloggers who review books, use social media, but mostly if your book is on sale.


What are your thoughts on good vs. bad reviews?
All reviews are worth something. The tough part is separating the personal feelings from the professional ones. When you receive a bad review (and everyone will at some point) look through it and see what the person’s opinion is and what the truth is about your book. Not what you MEANT for your book to be, but how they perceived it as a reader. If the reader isn’t getting it, if there are grammar mistakes, if multiple reviewers are saying the same thing, then fix your mistakes. If someone says “this wasn’t my type of book” and so gave it 2-stars, that has NOTHING to do with you.

Also, never contact a reviewer who gave you a bad review. They are entitled to their opinion. If you think it’s a fake or inappropriate, report it to the site’s admin to see if they will remove it.

Who are your favorite authors?
Stephen King, Orson Scott Card, Edgar Allan Poe, Kat Ross, Anne Rice, Anne McCaffrey, Phillip Pullman. And though he only writes TV/movies, Joss Whedon.

If you could have been an author for any book, who would it be and what book?
I think one of the reasons I like the books I do is because I like the author’s voice in how they wrote the book.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
3 things:
1) Show your unpublished work to others, whether it be other writers or people you know. This is the absolute hardest thing to do, but if you want to be published and have your book be great, you need to get readers to read it first. They will see things you don’t because you are the author and know everything about the story.
2) Attend workshops or writing conferences. This is 2-fold. Not only to polish and hone your work, but to meet other writers! This can be daunting, especially if you aren’t very social, but it can be isolating work to write. Meeting other writers shows you aren’t alone, that you can learn more, and that you can teach some, too.
3) Patience. Writing is a long road. Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, but if you want a quality product that will get you fans, interest, and the ability to write more books, you have to have patience and put in the work. This is a job, not a hobby. And you will have to work a long time without getting paid anything. It can be frustrating, lonely, and tedious at times. But it is an amazing feeling when someone tells you “I loved your book!” If that statement is worth it for you, then everything else is, too.

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
Just this: Many writers have gone through or are going through what you are. Reach out and ask if you can chat with them about your book or ask them questions. I’m a good example. I love helping other writers when I can. Feel free to email me or tweet with questions about writing, editing, or publishing.

How can readers discover more about you and you work?
Easiest way is to type in my name, Christa Yelich-Koth, into your search bar. Everything about me and my works will pop up, as I’m the only person in the world with that name. :)

Website/blog: www.christayelichkoth.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/christa.yelichkoth
Twitter: @cyelkoth
Lnkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/christa-yelich-koth-89768b77
Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Christa-Yelich-Koth/e/B01524S2BM
Book Links: http://www.buzzandroarpublishing.com/our-books.html
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6569925.Christa_Yelich_Koth

No comments:

Post a Comment