Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The Protocols of Uma (The Journeyers' Tale Book 1) by John Brage


I just finished The Protocols of Uma. It was an interesting book, and in some ways reminded me of Stargate. It was a well-thought out book, and had good characters. The book is sitting on Amazon with a rating of 4.5. I only gave it a three, but if I could break it down further, it would be a high three. I see a three as about an average rating. There were a few things that threw me out of the story, but they are easily fixed, and not necessarily something that would bother anyone else.

For Example: 

I've been trained to use active verbs, and this may be the issue I had. I would much rather read something like, "Miranda saw," or maybe more detail, like, "The light from the train temporarily impaired Miranda's vision," than "Miranda could see." Could is not necessary. But, that is just my training. Like I said, it might not bother anyone else.

Still, over-all I would say if you are a hard-core science fiction fan, or enjoy science fiction mingled with a historical feel, you would like this book. If so, pick up a copy for sure!

-Arwen Chandler

About The Protocols of Uma 

The Umae teeter on the brink of extinction. Their blood rivals, the Hek, have mysteriously made huge leaps forward in technology and are now poised to exterminate them. Their godlike protectors, the Journeyers, have not been heard from for centuries.
Just as their society is poised to collapse, the Journeycraft Starshine returns to them from deep space. Prohibited from using advanced technology by an ancient set of laws known as The Protocols, the Starshine’s terminally ill Command Agent must lead a ragtag group of exiles on an overwater quest to investigate a clue to the Umaes’ ultimate salvation. But the Hek stalk them at every turn, and a would be dictator plots his own ascension to power.
Can the Journeyers restore the faith the Umae once had in them? Can the key to the Umaes’ survival be found in time? And what is the Starshine’s Command Agent willing to sacrifice in order to have the only thing he ever truly wanted?

No comments:

Post a Comment